Find Local Events (pick a date)
Browse Boulder real estate by neighborhood, school and zip code along with other homes for sale in Colorado on







Home / Articles / Boulderganic / Boulderganic /  Keep it clean: Water needs our help
. . . . . . .
Give Through iGivefirst
Thursday, November 18,2010

Keep it clean: Water needs our help

By Charmaine Ortega Getz


About 70 percent of Mothership Earth is covered in water, most of which is so saline it is useless for drinking, showering, agriculture and the like. The remaining 30 percent is in constant danger of going from pure to polluted in a heartbeat.


The danger doesn’t always come from a big oil infusion, as recently happened in the Gulf, or toxins washing into our streams and rivers from factories.

Nope, it comes from the stuff routinely put down our storm drains — anything from discarded antifreeze and restaurant grease to cleaning products, fertilizers and pet poop.

Boulder County is one of Colorado’s regions that restrict what goes down storm drains because there is no treatment process that keeps outdoor waste from swirling into our waterways.

“In the city of Boulder, for instance, if you throw your old motor oil down a storm drain, it will wind up in Boulder Creek,” says Bill Hayes, team leader of the county’s Partners for a Clean Environment (PACE) program.

So will all the other stuff the rain washes off of parking lots, driveways, roads, construction sites, gardens, etc.

Much of this pollution is inevitable. It’s for the preventable that the Boulder County Public Health Department has the Keep It Clean Partnership. KICP works with cities to help keep whatever isn’t rain out of storm drains.

Among other things, it contracts with PACE, the program that trains businesses to reduce their environmental impacts in 10 minutes. Once a business learns to, say, pressure-wash a restaurant patio without harmful chemicals, it is added to the PACE Allies list, posted on its website and shared with businesses looking for certified service providers.

“The certification came with the business when I bought it in January,” says Marc Anievas, owner of X-Stream Clean in Boulder. “Whether it’s a hospital or a restaurant grease pit, we can handle it with the same green cleaning products and techniques. The customer may not care that it’s green, but I do, and it feels good!” KICP also has residential interests covered. Its website points out the three common sources of pollutants and how to handle them — pet poop (dispose of in the toilet), fertilizers (use organic products and minimally) and vehicle maintenance fluids (recycle at the Boulder County Household Hazardous Waste center).

When washing your car at home, park it on the lawn rather than in the driveway. It’s not just cleaning products that run off but vehicle residues — oil, grease, fuel and traces of metals. Grass will absorb all this much better than our waterways.

By the way, if you notice a spill or illegal discharge headed for the storm drains — such as fuel or waste from a traffic accident, or a floor drain from a building leaking into the street — you can get the right attention paid to it by calling the Illegal Discharge Reporting Hotline at 303- 441-4444.

For more information, visit the Boulder County Household Hazardous Waste website at, or call 303- 441-4800. Also check the KICP and PACE sites at and


  • Currently 3.5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
No Registration Required

Restaurant Grease accounts for 50% of all sanitary sewer overflows. When the sanitary sewer overflows raw sewage ends up in our natural waterways. Nothing like swimming in sewage.

Grease Trap bacterias, chemicals, and enzymes push restaurant grease from the grease trap to the sewer. These additivies are prohibited in most states. The Grease hardens in the sewer causng the blockages.

Public works costs to repair pumping stations and scrape grease from the sewer lines are astronomical and ongoing.

google "ultimate grease trap" to read the environmental impact from restaurant grease.


Its all about clean water .... isnt it?