Find Local Events (pick a date)
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Home  All Articles
 
Thursday, May 28,2015

Hippie to hardcore

The Gaslamp Killer’s evolution

By Kyle Eustice
Public Enemy’s Chuck D once told The Gaslamp Killer he looked like Jim Croce. Maybe it was the long hair and bushy mustache he was rocking at the time, but either way, he had no idea what Croce looked like, so he had to look him up. Sure enough, they had a slight resemblance, but that’s where the similarities ended. The type of music The Gaslamp Killer creates is the opposite of the folk music Croce was known for making. The Gaslamp Killer constructs heavy-hitting, electronic brilliance that bursts with elements of hip-hop, funk, rock and everything in between.
Thursday, May 28,2015

Make way for yesterday

Silent cinema is going strong at Chautauqua Auditorium

By Michael J. Casey
The movies started small. So small that only one person at a time could watch them. The year was 1892, and Thomas Edison and his colleague William Kennedy Laurie Dickson discovered that if you spun sequential photographs in a small box, you could create the illusion of movement. Edison called them Kinetoscopes, and these viewing booths were the iPhones of their day, a private experience where patrons paid to watch short movies of a giddy girl kissing a mustachioed man, of a dancer swirling her dress and of a weightlifter flexing his muscles.
Thursday, May 28,2015

Upcoming Events

To list your event, send information to: editorial@boulderweekly.com.
Thursday, May 28,2015

Off the beaten path

Boulder cyclist Thomas Prehn ready to tackle his first gravel grinding event in Kansas

By Kyle Eustice
In his 2004 book, Racing Tactics, Boulder resident and professional cyclist Thomas Prehn aimed to help other cyclists avoid common mistakes and to “ride intelligently,” as he puts it. The 57-year-old plans on utilizing his own advice as he tackles the 10th annual Dirty Kanza 200, a 200-mile ride over mostly dirt and gravel roads through the grasslands of the Flint Hills in Kansas on May 30. Billed as the “World’s Premier Gravel Grinder,” it’s an epic cycling event riders must complete in one day, riding over polished limestone and fist-sized chunks of gravel, through creekbeds that may well be full, given the recent rains, or could be baking in 100-degree heat, all while rolling up and down hills for a total of about 12,000 feet of climbing. Winners finish in about 11 hours.
Thursday, May 28,2015

So-called organic marijuana

Nobody in Colorado’s cannabis industry can stop a grower from calling its weed organic, but plans for certification may soon change that

By Christi Turner
We only use 100 percent organic soil and nutrients.” “Quality medication, which is … chemical free.” “Consistently high-quality, organic medical marijuana.” “All natural.” These are a few claims made by some of the 10 marijuana-growing companies that Colorado investigated for pesticide-related violations this spring on the Front Range.
Thursday, May 28,2015

Climbing for Carleen

One family’s mission to change the way people think about hepatitis C

By Caitlin Rockett
In 2011, Carleen and James McGuffey had just moved to Colorado Springs from Texas when they found out Carleen was pregnant with the couple’s sixth child. They were ecstatic. But it wasn’t long after that they found out during a routine pregnancy checkup that Carleen had hepatitis C.
Thursday, May 28,2015

City codes and art strike a balance

Stone balancing threatened with citation during Boulder Creek Festival

By Elizabeth Miller
Stone-balancing artist Michael Grab, who’s impromptu sculptures are known to frequent Boulder Creek, was stopped during the Boulder Creek Festival by a Boulder police officer who told him he couldn’t balance rocks in the creek, citing two Boulder City Codes, one against rolling rocks and one on destruction of public property.
Thursday, May 28,2015

news briefs

Growing public concern about antibiotics in dairy products prompted the FDA to conduct a study of almost 2,000 milk samples from across the country looking for 31 different drugs. More than 99 percent of the samples were drug-free, but the remaining samples (less than 1 percent) had traces of two drugs that aren’t part of routine testing.
Thursday, May 28,2015

LETTERS

I am still wary of the non-profit community being screwed on this deal. What Latino groups have you reached out to? What churches have you reached out to for suggestions? What does the human relations commission have to say about this deal? I fully expect the working people of this town to be shut out of use of this facility.
Thursday, May 28,2015

Obama’s silly speech

By Paul Danish
At a time when Islamic militants are rampaging all over the Middle East, in no small part due to Obama’s incompetent military and foreign policy decisionmaking, and in the same week that the cities of Ramadi in Iraq and Palmyra in Syria fell to...
Close
Close