Carbon up, rent down?
An apartment building in the 1800 block of Pearl Street was evacuated on June 14 after high levels of carbon monoxide, an odorless, toxic gas, were found inside. After receiving a report that carbon monoxide alarms were going off inside the building, Boulder firefighters and police officers evacuated the building and found higher than acceptable levels of the gas with their hand-held carbon monoxide readers.
After closing Pearl Street from 17th to 20th streets, firefighters used master keys to gain access to locked units because there were concerns residents might be injured in some of the apartments. Crews had to knock down a door and found two people who were not even aware of the carbon monoxide exposure. Two animals were also inside the building.
An asphalt company worker using a gas-powered washer to clean the floor of a downstairs garage may have been the source of the carbon monoxide exposure. The employee and other apartment residents were evaluated by paramedics and needed no additional medical attention.
Occupants were allowed to return to their apartments after the building had been ventilated for two hours. The landlord was notified of the incident.
Stick with coffee next time
The Starbucks at 3033 Arapahoe Ave. saw some action on June 13 when police were dispatched to the coffee shop due to an intoxicated male harassing customers.
A TASER was used in an attempt to get the suspect under control, but without success. The suspect was verbally abusive and physically aggressive toward police, repeatedly yelling obscenities at officers. An officer sustained a cut lip during the altercation.
The 45-year-old male was arrested and charged with seconddegree assault, resisting arrest, obstruction, harassment and thirddegree trespass.
Little box, a lot of damage
A 20-year-old male driver struck a metal pole and sideswiped a transformer box, rolling his vehicle onto its roof at 9th Street and Juniper on June 12. The driver said that his window was foggy and he was looking down to adjust his defrost button when the accident occurred. When officers responded to the incident, he refused medical treatment and was cited for careless driving. Power was out in the area for approximately two hours, and damage to the transformer box was extensive as a result of the collision.
Tubing ban lifted
After a weekend of high-water advisories and closures, Sheriff Joe Pelle and Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner lifted the tubing bans for Boulder Creek and North and South St. Vrain Creeks on June 15.
The water flow is still high in both creeks and can be dangerous, particularly if Boulder County gets more rain.
Creek recreationists are advised to use caution along the creeks and be aware that creek banks can become unstable due to the high water. Proper personal safety equipment should be used during recreational activities on the creeks. Life jackets, swimming skills and suitably loaded floating devices are recommended.
As of June 15, Boulder Creek was flowing at an estimated 495 cubic feet per second (CFS), and normally flows at a rate between 200 and 400 CFS. The St. Vrain Creek was flowing at an estimated 775 CFS through Lyons and normally flows at a rate between 400 and 600 CFS.
Pole down, power out
A semi-truck struck power lines on Kalmia Street, took down one power pole and severely damaged another on June 11. Police and Xcel responded quickly, and the resulting power outage lasted approximately one hour. The 46-year-old male driver was not charged.
—Heather May Koski Respond: firstname.lastname@example.org